What is the MRT?
The Mass Rapid Transit System, or MRT as it is commonly known here, is an island-wide rapid transit train system. The two main train operators are Singapore MRT Ltd (SMRT) and SBS Transit Ltd (SBS Transit).
How do I find the MRT station?
If you happen to be along a main road or any major landmarks, keep an eye out for this signage. The sign will often indicate how far and in which direction the nearest station will be.
Back to Top
How do I get to my destination by MRT?
If you are not sure how to get to your destination, look at the MRT system map located at all MRT stations. Just take note of the destination number and train line colour.
Back to Top
What is the LRT?
The Light Rapid Transit, or LRT as it is commonly known here, is a fully automated train service that links the HDB housing estates to the MRT Stations.
There are 3 LRT systems in Singapore:
- The Bukit Panjang LRT (BPLRT) system that links Bukit Panjang Town to Choa Chu Kang MRT Station
- The Sengkang LRT (SKLRT) system that serves resident of Sengkang estate by connecting them to Sengkang NEL Station
- The Punggol LRT (PGLRT) system that connects residents of Punggol estate to Punggol NEL Station
The 7.8km BPLRT system which is operated by SMRT Light Rail Pte Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of SMRT Trains Ltd, has 14 stations.
SBS Transit Ltd operates both the SKLRT and PGLRT systems. The SKLRT stretches about 21km over two loops - East Loop comprising five stations and West Loop with eight stations. The PGLRT stretches about 19km over two loops – East and West (currently not in operation) with seven stations each.
How do I get to my destination by LRT?
If you are not sure how to get to your destination, look at the station''s system map to determine where you are going:
Bukit Panjang LRT
- There are 3 services for the BPLRT. Kindly take note of the route for each service to determine your destination.
- If you would like to transfer from LRT to MRT, kindly alight at Choa Chu Kang Station (BP1) and cross the linkway in the paid area. Please do not exit out by the gates. There is no need to exit the station to board the MRT service.
- Commuters travelling on the SKLRT who wish to transfer to NEL may alight at Sengkang Town Centre Station (STC) and proceed to the lowest level platform within the station to take the NEL train.
- The three stations (SW1 & SW3) of SKLRT West Loop will operate on a later date.
- Commuters travelling on the PGLRT who wish to transfer to NEL may alight at Punggol Town Centre Station (PTC/NE17) and proceed to the lowest level platform within the station to take the NEL train.
- Only eight stations are in operation (Punggol, Cove, Meridian, Coral Edge, Riveria, Kandaloor, Oasis and Damai Stations). The other stations will operate at a later date.
Back to Top