Product & Services

Adjust font size: zoom in zoom out email Email Page Print Print

 Diploma Student Concession Card

What is it?

If you are a full-time matriculated diploma student* from a government or government-aided tertiary institution, you are eligible to apply for a Diploma Student Concession Card to travel on buses, MRT and LRT.

From 15 February 2015, students who are sponsored by or receiving an allowance from an organisation will also be eligible for Diploma Student Concession Card. Please check with your respective institution should your application be unsuccessful. 

*Postgraduates are not eligible for Diploma Student Concession Card

Which are the institutions qualified under this concession scheme?

The nine institutions are:

  • BCA Academy
  • ITE (Diploma)
  • LaSalle College of the Arts
  • Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA)
  • Nanyang Polytechnic
  • Ngee Ann Polytechnic
  • Republic Polytechnic
  • Singapore Polytechnic
  • Temasek Polytechnic

Back to Top

For how long can I use the card?

The concession card can be used until you are no longer enrolled in a government or government-aided institution. The eligibility period is determined by the respective institution.

You can check the expiry date of the card at any Add Value Machine (AVM+) or General Ticketing Machine (GTM) in MRT stations and bus interchanges.

Once concession eligibility has expired, the card can no longer be used and you will need to purchase an Adult Stored Value Card for daily commuting.

Back to Top

Interesting! So how do I apply for one?

You can simply apply for one during the bulk application exercise which is usually conducted every April to May and July to August.

In the event that you have missed out on the exercise, you can always apply for your first card HERE or via any TransitLink Ticket Office / Concession Card Replacement Office located island-wide. But before you head down, it is advisable to call the TransitLink Hotline at 1800-CALL ONE (1800-2255 663) to check your eligibility status first.

When applying for the concession card, kindly bring along the following:

  • Passport-size photograph (taken within the last 3 months) against a white background;
  • Matriculation Card; and

One of the following documents:

  • Original NRIC/Passport for Singapore Citizens; or
  • Original NRIC/Re-entry Permit for Singapore Permanent Residents; or
  • Original Passport and Foreign Student Pass (FIN) for foreign students.

Photograph must fulfil the following criteria:

  • Taken against a white background in colour passport-sized
  • Hair must be neatly combed or tied up
  • Image must show full face from chin to crown of the head

There will also be a $5 card cost (non-refundable) and $3.10 personalisation fee (non-refundable) payable upon the application of Diploma Student Concession card

Note: Current students without a concession card can apply for one either through or any TransitLink Ticket Office.

Students will receive their cards from their respective institutions after their application is processed.

To start using your Diploma Student Concession Card, simply head down to any TransitLink Ticket Office to activate the card by making a minimum top-up of $10. Don't forget to bring your NRIC / Passport for verification purposes.

Back to Top

Can I purchase a travel pass?

Yes you can! Diploma students enjoy travel concession through the use of Monthly Concession Passes (MCPs). The MCPs can be purchased at any TransitLink Ticket Office and AVM+.

With the introduction of enhanced concession schemes from 6 April 2014, the prices of MCPs for diploma students will be made the same as that for Junior College students!

Enhanced concession scheme (From 6 April):
Concession Pass Benefit Price
Bus Concession Pass (BCP) Unlimited travel on basic bus services $27.50
Train Concession Pass (TCP) Unlimited travel on train rides $25.00
Hybrid Concession Pass (HCP) Combination of BCP and TCP $51.00

Please note that:

* Concession cards have to be activated and valid before the purchase of concession passes.

* Only ONE valid concession pass can be utilised in an individual concession card at any one time.

* Concession pass is valid for one month, which is similar to all other passes.

* Activation of concession pass can be made up to 7 days in advance from your travel start date. Concession passes cannot be overlapped in dates.

* Unused concession pass is non-refundable.

* Please note that you will need to pay adult fares for travel if you decide not to purchase a Monthly Concession Pass.

* Basic bus services include trunk and feeder services.
- Express, Fast Forward and premium bus services like Chinatown Direct, Premium, Nite Owl, NightRider and City Direct are NOT included.
- Concession Passes are applicable for Parks 408.

For more information on basic and premium bus services, click on the respective bus operators below.
SBS Transit | SMRT | Tower Transit | Go-Ahead

Back to Top

What if I want to top up the card?

All you have to do is visit any TransitLink Ticket Office to top up your card. The minimum amount that you can top up is $10 and the maximum amount being $500.

You may also use the AVM+ or GTM in MRT stations and bus interchanges to top up your concession cards. The AVM+ only accepts payment via NETS, while the GTM accepts cash and e-Payments such as NETS, credit and debit cards.

Back to Top

Oh no, I've lost my card! What should I do?

Not to worry! Simply call 1800-CALL ONE (1800-2255 663) which operates daily from 8am to 6pm (excluding public holidays) and provide your NRIC number or concession card number along with your contact number. If you are calling after operating hours, just leave a voice mail.

And for security reasons, the loss report is irreversible once it is lodged in our system and the card, even if found, would no longer be usable. So we sincerely advise card holders to search thoroughly for the card before making the loss report.

Please take note that you will have to inform your own school library and the National Library Board (NLB) of the lost concession card to avoid any misuse. You may call NLB's helpdesk at 6332 3255.

Should there be any misuse before the card is cancelled, TransitLink will not be liable. Any remaining value will be refunded to you in cash after 10 days.

Back to Top

My card is faulty, what can I do?

If your card is faulty, just approach any TransitLink Ticket Office to obtain a Temporary Card when you present the technically faulty card to the staff. The Temporary Card is encoded with $5.00 in travel value to help you make your way to the TransitLink Concession Card Replacement Office for an immediate replacement and to file a deferred refund for the unused period of your Monthly Concession Pass. The amount will be pro-rated and refunded to you within 10 working days.

Do take note that the Temporary Card is valid for only 10 days. You may also top-up the card for use and adult fare will be deducted. When making your new concession card, the Temporary Card must be returned.

You can click here to read the terms and conditions of use of the Temporary Card.

The administrative fee and the replacement cost will be waived in the event that the electronic data on the technically faulty card cannot be reliably read for any reason whatsoever as determined by TransitLink.

Back to Top

What if I need to get my card replaced?

There are 3 ways to get your card replaced.

If you are heading down to the Concession Card Replacement Office to apply for a replacement, kindly bring along:

  • Original NRIC/Passport for Singapore citizens; or
  • Original NRIC/Re-entry Permit for Singapore Permanent Residents; or
  • Original Student Pass (FIN) for foreign students; and
  • One colour passport-sized photograph that was taken within the last 3 months against a white background; or
  • Diploma Student Concession card (if applicable).

Photograph must fulfil the following criteria:

  • Taken against a white background in colour passport-sized
  • Hair must be neatly combed or tied up
  • Image must show full face from chin to crown of the head

If you would like someone else to help you apply for a replacement, then they will have to present their own original NRIC / Passport in addition to the above-mentioned items.

Back to Top

How much will it cost to replace my card?

The charges for replacement of a lost, damaged or defective Diploma Student Concession Card are:

Replacement Costs Lost Card via Concession Card Replacement Offices Lost Card via Self-service Channels (Online/Mobile/TransitLink Kiosk) Damaged Card Defective Card
Administrative Fee $13 $11 Waived Free Replacement
Card Cost $5 $5 $5
Personalisation Fee $3.10 $3.10 $3.10
Total $21.10 $19.10 $8.10 $0

The above fees are subject to changes

The card cost and personalisation fee are the actual cost of the card medium and its production. The administrative fee covers the handling and operating costs.

Do note that you will have to top-up a minimum $10 travel value to activate the card.

Back to Top

What if I would like to get a refund on my card?

If you would like to obtain a refund of any remaining travel value on the card, simply return the concession card to any TransitLink Ticket Office where it will be retained. Remember to bring along your original NRIC/Passport to receive the refund. If you would like a proxy to help receive the refund of the card, then they will have to present their own original NRIC / Passport in addition to the above-mentioned items.

Do take note that refund of the Diploma Student Concession card is not allowed while the concession eligibility is in effect.

Refunds for early school leavers can be made at TransitLink's Concession Card Replacement Office.

Back to Top

I've just completed my studies. Can I still use the card?

Congratulations on completing your studies! Not to worry, the Diploma Student Concession Card can be used for a further 4 months upon completion of studies but you will not be able to purchase any concession passes.

At any point of time during the 4 months grace period, you may request for an immediate refund (if any) at any TransitLink Ticket Office or Concession Card Replacement Office. But once the 4 months period is up, your card will expire and cannot be used or refunded immediately. You will then be issued a receipt and the refund can be collected after 5 working days from any TransitLink Ticket Office or Concession Card Replacement Office.

*Note: Students whose concession cards are linked to GIRO or Auto Credit Card will also need to present their cards at the Sales Machines or Counters (TransitLink Ticket Office/Concession Card Replacement Office, Add Value Machine (AVM+), General Ticketing Machine and Passenger Service Centre).

Back to Top

Is there anything else that I should take note of?

  • The concession card must be carried as proof of eligibility when travelling on the MRT/LRT/bus in order to enjoy travel concession.

  • The card must be shown without demand to the bus driver, inspector or other authorised staff of SBS Transit, SMRT, SLRT, Tower Transit, Go-Ahead and TransitLink when requested.

  • If you forget to bring your concession card or if your concession card has expired, please pay adult cash fare or use a valid Adult stored value card.

  • Concession cards are not transferable, so please use the concession card that belongs to you.

  • The Diploma Student Concession card can also be topped-up with a minimum travel value for use on the buses and trains should you decide not to purchase a concession pass. Adult fares will be deducted.

  • If new Diploma students are still using their Secondary School Smartcards for travel on buses, they should note that adult fares will be deducted from the cards. If they use the Secondary School Smartcards to pay concession cash fares on buses, their Secondary School Smartcards may be retained by the Bus Captain / Service Leader for investigation and verification.

  • It is best not to place your concession card on top of another stored value card inside your wallet or any personal carrier. Only the intended card to be used for travel should be tapped at the bus and MRT/LRT gate readers to avoid problems and/or retention of your card. Each card is to be used separately.

  • Students who have bought a Bus or Hybrid Concession Pass should still tap their concession card against the entry and exit card readers when boarding and alighting from buses. Although no deductions will be made, it is a good habit to cultivate because valid exit processing will ensure that you qualify for valid transfers when the electronic concession pass is not in use.

  • Legal proceedings may be taken against any person who misuses the card, allows any misuse of the card, or breaches any of the Terms & Conditions, for the use of the Diploma Student Concession card. SBS Transit, SMRT, SLRT, Tower Transit, Go-Ahead and TransitLink reserve the right to retain any card deemed necessary for investigation. The concession card shall be retained if it has been tampered with, misused, replaced or refunded.

  • Should your card get retained, you may call the toll-free TransitLink Hotline 1800-CALL ONE (1800-2255 663) to check on the retained smartcard status after 5 working days.

Back to Top