For School Smartcard:
You must be
- below 21 years old;
- a Singapore Citizen/ Permanent Resident/ Foreigner with a Student Pass; and
pursuing full-time studies at a Singapore government or government-aided school.
For Non-MOE School Smartcard*:
You must be
- below 13 years old;
- a Singapore Citizen; and
- home-schooled or studying a full-time course in a private school.
*subject to annual extension, with the exception of Madrasah students who are entitled to four years of concession validity
How to Apply
For Non-homeschooled Primary-level Students
If you are studying at a Singapore government/government-aided school, you will automatically receive your School Smartcard from your school.
If you are studying at a private school, a TransitLink officer will give you a call once your Non-MOE School Smartcard is ready for collection at the TransitLink Head Office.
For Home-schooled Primary-level Students
- Completed application form (click HERE to download)
- Original copy of the child's Singapore birth certificate/Singapore Citizenship Certificate (a photocopy for application via mail)
- Original copy of parent's NRIC (a photocopy for application via mail)
- 1 x colour, passport-sized photograph of the child, and
- Certification of Exemption issued by MOE
Please submit the required documents to:
- Any TransitLink Ticket Office or Concession Card Replacement Office^; or
- TransitLink Head Office, attention to:
Transit Link Pte Ltd
9 Maxwell Road #03-02
Annexe A MND Complex
^You will not be able to collect the concession card immediately even if you submit at the Concession Card Replacement Office
Application Fee (payable at point of card activation):
$3.10 non-refundable personalisation fee
Your Non-MOE School Smartcard will take between two and four weeks to process, upon submission of all required documents. A TransitLink officer will give you a call once the concession card is ready for collection at the TransitLink Head Office.
Head down to any TransitLink Ticket Office with your original NRIC/passport and make a minimum top-up of $5 to activate the card for use on public transport.
Monthly Concession Pass
With the School Smartcard/Non-MOE School Smartcard, you can enjoy student fares and purchase a Monthly Concession Pass (MCP) for unlimited travel on train and/or basic bus services (trunk and feeder services).
|Bus Concession Pass||$24.00||$29.00|
|Train Concession Pass||$21.00||$26.50|
|Hybrid Concession Pass*||$43.50||$54.00|
*for both train and basic bus services
• Concession cards have to be activated and valid before the purchase of any concession pass.
• Only ONE valid concession pass can be used on an individual concession card at any one time.
• The concession pass can be activated up to seven days in advance of your intended travel start date. The validity period of the concession pass cannot overlap with that of the previously purchased concession pass, and commences from the beginning of bus/train operating hours on the activated concession pass’s start date.
• Unused concession pass or any part thereof is non-refundable.
• The concession pass cannot be used on Express and Premium Bus Services like Chinatown Direct Bus Services, Nite Owl bus services, NightRider services and City Direct Services. For more information on basic and premium bus services, please visit the SBS Transit, SMRT, Tower Transit or Go-Ahead Singapore website.
Card Validity Period
For School Smartcard
You can use your School Smartcard until the end of your concession eligibility period or when you are no longer attending the school. The concession eligibility period is determined by the respective schools.
After the end of your concession eligibility period, you can continue to use your School Smartcard for four more months. Primary School Smartcard holders can continue to enjoy concessionary fares and purchase Monthly Concession Passes during this period. Secondary School Smartcard holders would have to pay adult fares and would not be able to purchase Monthly Concession Passes.
For Non-MOE School Smartcard
The concession validity period of your Non-MOE School Smartcard is 12 months or up to the end of your course, whichever is earlier. If you receive your concession card before or on your course start date, your concession validity period will commence from your course start date and end 12 months later.
Once your concession validity period ends, you can continue to use your Non-MOE School Smartcard for four more months. However, adult fares will apply.
Extension of Concession Validity Period
Please refer to the following table to find out if your concession validity period can be extended.
|Extension of Concession Validity Period|
|Primary School Smartcard holders||✔|
- For four more months upon completion of studies.
Can continue to enjoy concessionary fares and purchase a Secondary Monthly Concession Pass for four months.
|Non-MOE School Smartcard holders who are private school students||✔
- If your course duration is more than 12 months.
- Your school will apply for the extension of your concession validity period on an annual basis, for another 12 months or up to the end of your course.
|Non-MOE School Smartcard holders who are home-schooled||✔
- If your course duration is more than 12 months.
- Your concession validity period can be extended for another 12 months or up to the end of your course, whichever is earlier.
- Please complete and submit this concession validity extension request form via email or mail to TransitLink.
- Extension is not allowed if the concession card has expired.
|Students enrolled in MOE Special Education (SPED) schools||✗
- Please apply for a Secondary School Smartcard.
- Get the application form from your new school between December and January, if you do not receive the form from your school by then.
- Submit the completed form at any Concession Card Replacement Office.
|Secondary School Smartcard Holders||✔
- If continuing studies at a junior college/centralised institution/pre-university, the existing School Smartcard concession validity will be extended for the entire duration of your studies.
- Otherwise, you may continue to use the concession card for another five months (January - May) after your graduating year.
- You can enjoy concessionary fares in the first month, until 31 January.
- For the following four months (February - May), adult fares will be deducted. You will not be able to purchase concession passes during these four months.
|Primary 6 repeat students / Secondary 4/5 students / New ITE students*||✔|
*who have yet to receive ITE Concession Card
Please visit any of the following ticketing machines to effect the extension of your concession validity period:
- Add Value Machine (AVM)
- General Ticketing Machine (GTM)
- Assisted Service Kiosk (ASK)
- TransitLink Ticket Office (TLTO)
- Concession Card Replacement Office (CCRO)
- Passenger Service Centre (PSC)
To effect the extension of your concession validity period at the ticketing machines:
- AVM: Place your School Smartcard/Non-MOE School Smartcard on the card reader. The new concession validity date will be displayed and a receipt will be issued.
- GTM: Place your School Smartcard/Non-School Smartcard on the card reader. Select "Check Card" to view the new concession validity date.
Even if your School Smartcard/Non-MOE School Smartcard is on Auto Top-Up by Bank GIRO and credit card, you will still have to present your card at any ticketing machine (AVM, GTM, ASK) or manned counter (TLTO, CCRO, PSC) to effect the extension of the concession validity period.
If you are a Secondary 1 student or secondary-level home-schooler/private student, please return your Primary School Smartcard/Non-MOE School Smartcard to TransitLink once you have received your Secondary School Smartcard/Private Education Institution Student Concession Card.
Upon completing your primary/secondary school studies, there is a four-month grace period for you to return your School Smartcard/Non-MOE School Smartcard and request an immediate refund of any remaining travel value at any TransitLink Ticket Office.
To collect the refund, please bring along:
- Singapore Citizen/Permanent Resident: Original NRIC/passport; or
- Foreigners: Original Re-entry Permit/Student Pass (FIN); and
- Representative’s original NRIC/passport (if someone else is collecting for you)
Once the four-month period is over, your School Smartcard/Non-MOE School Smartcard will expire and cannot be refunded immediately. Our Customer Service Office will issue a receipt for any applicable refund, which can be collected at any TransitLink Ticket Office after five working days.
The refund of the School Smartcard/Non-MOE School Smartcard is not allowed while the concession is still valid.
Refunds for early school leavers can be made at any Concession Card Replacement Office.